If I eat excess protein, does it turn into fat?

Neal Spruce
Neal Spruce on behalf of dotFIT
Fitness
Excess of any food is stored as fat if your total calories (combination of protein, fats & carbs) exceed your body's needs to maintain its weight. In other words, anytime your body receives more calories, from any food form, than it burns in any given time period (e.g. day, week, etc), the excess calories will be stored as body weight/fat. But if you consume more protein than the body needs to perform all protein’s primary functions (building/maintaining tissues), the excess protein will be converted to energy. That energy will stored as fat only if your total calories from all foods are in excess of your burn; otherwise it will be used as an energy source to help fuel the body just like carbohydrate.

Continue Learning about Protein Body Impact

High-Protein Snacks Boost Metabolic Rate
Before you spend 20 minutes pumping iron at the gym or hauling your body up that park hill, high-protein snacks are recommended. Research suggests th...
What does protein do for my body?
Samantha Heller, RDSamantha Heller, RD
Protein is a multi-tasking nutrient and serves the following functions:Structural proteins: just l...
What types of proteins should I choose to keep my heart healthy?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Protein is an important element in a healthy diet. Unfortunately, many sources of protein -- such as...
The Best Protein for Weight Loss
The Best Protein for Weight Loss