What is a robot assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy?

One of the most innovative treatments for prostate cancer is robotic-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy -- removal of the prostate gland.

Robotic prostatectomy offers similar and often better outcomes than traditional prostate cancer surgery. In addition, by using the robotic technique, there is greater nerve sparing, resulting in less chance of erectile dysfunction (ED) and urinary discontinence.

While these technological advantages are significant, a surgeon's skill and experience remain the most important elements for achieving good outcomes.

With robotic-assisted surgery, you can look forward to a shorter recovery, less chance of infection and less postoperative pain.

Continue Learning about Prostatectomy

Is radiation therapy required after robotic prostatectomy?
The Mount Sinai Health SystemThe Mount Sinai Health System
Radiation therapy is sometimes suggested in place of surgery if the cancer is localized or if it has...
What are the benefits of robotic prostatectomy?
Jayram Krishnan, DOJayram Krishnan, DO
The benefits of robotic prostatectomy are faster recovery and less blood loss over open surgery, say...
What should I expect after a laparoscopic prostatectomy?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
After having a laparoscopic prostatectomy, you will be carefully monitored in the recovery room ...
How will a prostatectomy affect my ability to get an erection?
Jayram Krishnan, DOJayram Krishnan, DO
Prostatectomy does decrease erections by about 30%, says Jayram Krishnan, DO, a urologist at Sunrise...