Q

Prostate Cancer

What increases my risk for prostate cancer?

• A answered
    Age, health, and genetic factors all play a role in increasing the risk of prostate cancer. The disease is by far most common in men over age 65, and is more common among black men than any other race. Risk also increases with a history of the disease in the family. Heightened risk has been linked to certain genetic and cellular factors as well, such as the presence of a type of high-grade cell called prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia, or certain changes in genes such as BRCA 1 or BRCA2. Obesity doesn't necessarily increase the risk of the disease, but it does make its detection more difficult, meaning that when it is diagnosed it is likely to be in a more advanced state.
  • The three most significant risk factors for prostate cancer are having family members with prostate cancer (especially if they got it when they were young), being African American and increasing age.

Prostate cancer is the most common non-skin cancer in men and the second-leading cause of cancer death in American men. Fortunately, most prostate cancer is slow growing and affects older men. Most men diagnosed with prostate cancer do not die from it
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
What is my overall risk of being diagnosed with prostate cancer?