What does the prostate-specific antigen (PSA) test help detect?

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
Today we have a much better understanding of the strengths and limitations of the prostate-specific antigen (PSA) test. In addition to detecting prostate cancer, we now realize that the PSA test is great for detecting benign (non-cancerous) prostate disorders, such as prostate infections (prostatitis) and benign prostate enlargement or BPH. These non-cancerous conditions affect many more men than does prostate cancer. Before proceeding with a biopsy looking for cancer, the goal of PSA testing should be to rule out prostatitis and BPH first. Understanding and implementing this approach makes the PSA test much more effective.

Continue Learning about Prostate Cancer Treatment

Double-Punch Treatment Best for Prostate Cancer
Love him or hate him, the fact is that heavyweight champ Mike Tyson won his first 19 professional bouts with knockouts—12 of them in the first round—b...
Is bowel preparation or a special diet necessary before prostate surgery?
St. Petersburg General HospitalSt. Petersburg General Hospital
To cleanse the bowel before prostate surgery, you may need to use a Fleet enema and/or other laxativ...
What are prostate cancer vaccines?
There is a vaccine for prostate cancer, but it is used for treatment rather than prevention of the d...
I've Just Been Diagnosed with Prostate Cancer, What Do I Need to Do?