How can I make an informed prostate cancer treatment decision?

There's a lot of misinformation around prostate cancer, says Simon Hall, MD, a urologist at The Mount Sinai Medical Center and director of the Deane Prostate Health and Research Center.

Once you receive a diagnosis of prostate cancer, you should go to the library or purchase one of the many books available to read up on it.  The best examples include Dr. Patrick Walsh's book and the book published by the American Cancer Society.

After reading these books, you and your partner should be armed with questions that pertain to your particular situation.  Then, in consulting your urologist, radiation oncologist or medical oncologist, you will be able to understand the pros and cons of the various approaches to this cancer.  There is no one right answer for everyone.

The priorities to consider, in order of importance, include prostate cancer control, risk of urinary incontinence and urinary bother and finally the impact on sexual function after treatment.  I would also talk to friends, family and local American Cancer Society Chapter to see if there are any resources in terms of psychological help/coping, dietary and lifestyle modifications, etc.

Continue Learning about Prostate Cancer Treatment