How can having prostate surgery affect bladder control?

Some loss of urinary control is quite common after prostate surgery. The loss of control may be simply an occasional dripping when you put pressure on the bladder (such as when you cough or exert), or it may occur more often, requiring the use of pads or clamps to control it. How would this make you feel? Could you live with it and not let it bother you, or would it be so embarrassing that it could affect your social or business life? Complete incontinence (continuous dripping) is very unlikely, but there is up to a 25% chance of having some urinary problem after surgery. You have to understand this possibility if you agree to treatment. 

Continue Learning about Prostate Cancer Treatment

Double-Punch Treatment Best for Prostate Cancer
Love him or hate him, the fact is that heavyweight champ Mike Tyson won his first 19 professional bouts with knockouts—12 of them in the first round—b...
How are low-grade and early prostate cancers treated?
Dr. Harry Fisch, MDDr. Harry Fisch, MD
When we do a biopsy of the prostate and the result is cancer, in over 50 percent of cases, the grade...
How is the antifungal ketoconazole used to treat prostate cancer?
Marc B. Garnick, MDMarc B. Garnick, MD
In very high doses, the antifungal ketoconazole() (Nizoral) rapidly lowers blood levels of testoster...
I've Just Been Diagnosed with Prostate Cancer, What Do I Need to Do?