Do all prostate cancers require treatment?

Not all prostate cancers need to be treated. In this video, Simon Hall, MD, chair of the Urology Department at The Mount Sinai Medical Center, discusses active surveilance where doctors monitor patients until they need treatment.

All men diagnosed with prostate cancer do not necessarily need to be treated. After considering factors such as, age at diagnosis, comorbidities (general medical health), life expectancy, the grade and stage of your prostate cancer are determined. Your doctor might summarize your prostate cancer risk category (or group) as low, intermediate or high, which helps to determine the risk of cancer spreading or even returning after treatment at some time in the future. Your cancer is placed in one of these three categories in order to help you and your doctor decide how aggressive you want to be with your treatment.

Sixty percent of prostatectomies for "cancer" are Gleason 6. These cancers are the ones that are perfect for non-surgical treatment such as surveillance.

Continue Learning about Prostate Cancer Treatment

A Breakthrough Alternative to Traditional Prostate Cancer Treatment
Cartoonist GJ Caulkins may have been channeling Eric Clapton or Albert King when he captioned an image of a doctor with a guitar telling a startled pa...
What is a possible complication of prostate surgery?
When a prostate resection (routine surgery for noncancerous enlarged prostate) continues for more th...
Do all cancerous prostates need to be removed?
Usually found in the outer zone of the prostate, prostate cancer tends to be thought of as an all-or...
I've Just Been Diagnosed with Prostate Cancer, What Do I Need to Do?