After prostate cancer surgery is a catheter necessary?

A Foley catheter is usually needed after prostate surgery, especially radical prostatectomy. Once the prostate is removed, a connection between the urinary bladder and urethra is made and held with sutures. The Foley catheter allows the area to heal while draining the bladder. The catheter is left in place (length of time) depending on the different centers and any variability in the procedure.

Continue Learning about Prostate Cancer Treatment

Double-Punch Treatment Best for Prostate Cancer
Love him or hate him, the fact is that heavyweight champ Mike Tyson won his first 19 professional bouts with knockouts—12 of them in the first round—b...
What causes radiation burns during prostate cancer surgery?
Arthur R. Crowley, MDArthur R. Crowley, MD
Radioactive seed implantation (also called Brachytherapy) is a form of radiation therapy for the tre...
What is watchful waiting in context to prostate cancer?
The Mount Sinai Health SystemThe Mount Sinai Health System
Watchful waiting involves no medication. Instead, your doctor tests periodically to see if the cance...
I've Just Been Diagnosed with Prostate Cancer, What Do I Need to Do?