What conditions can mimic prostate cancer symptoms?

William D. Knopf, MD
As men get older, their prostate may grow bigger and block the flow of urine or interfere with sexual function. This common condition, called benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), is not cancer, but it can cause many of the same symptoms as prostate cancer. Although BPH may not be a threat to life, it may require treatment with medicine or surgery to relieve symptoms. An infection or inflammation of the prostate, called prostatitis, may also cause many of the same symptoms as prostate cancer. Again, it is important to check with a doctor.
This answer is based upon information from the National Cancer Institute.
Prostatitis or benign prostate enlargement can mimic symptoms of prostate cancer.

Continue Learning about Prostate Cancer Symptoms

What are the symptoms of prostate cancer?
Symptoms of prostate cancer can include urinary problems, erectile dysfunction and pain in the back ...
Should I talk to my doctor about my prostate cancer symptoms?
Your doctor can help determine if urinary or erectile difficulties are symptoms of prostate cancer. ...