How should I take norethindrone?

Norethindrone (Aygestin) contains the hormone progestin and is taken to control amenorrhea, a hormonal condition that causes periods to stop, endometriosis, a complication involving the lining of the uterus, and other types of abnormal uterine bleeding caused by a hormonal imbalance. It should not be taken if periods stopped because of cancer, pregnancy or menopause.

Your doctor will prescribe the dosage of norethindrone that works best for the condition you are treating.  It can be taken with or without food. It comes in 5 mg. tablets that are scored so you can break them in half (2.5 mg.).

If you have endometriosis your doctor will prescribe 2.5 to 10 mg. of norethindrone taken once a day for several months. Your doctor will begin with a low dose to start, usually 5 mg. a day, and increase it by 2.5 mg. a day every two weeks until you are getting a final dose of 15 mg.

If you are taking norethindrone to bring on your period, your doctor will tell you to take it for five to 10 days during the second half of your planned menstrual cycle. You will usually begin bleedingthree to seven days after you stop taking it.

Continue Learning about Progestin

What is progestin?
The term progestin usually refers to a synthetic form of the female hormone progesterone, which wome...
Should I be taking progestin along with Evamist?
Typically, if a woman still has her uterus and is taking some form of estrogen, doctors will decide ...