Where does progesterone come from?

Elena H. Yanushpolsky, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

Progesterone is a hormone that is secreted by the ovary after ovulation. During the first two weeks of the menstrual cycle, the growing egg is surrounded by granulosa cell. During that time, up until ovulation, granulose cells mainly secrete the hormone estrogen.  Once ovulation takes place and the egg is released from the ovary, granulosa cells change their secretion pattern and begin to secrete progesterone in addition to estrogen. The part of the ovary that secretes estrogen and progesterone after ovulation is called Corpus Luteum. Progesterone is important for preparing the uterine lining to receive a fertilized egg and for supporting early pregnancy. As pregnancy continues successfully and placental cells grow, they take over production of progesterone, and corpus luteum gradually involutes by 8-12 weeks of pregnancy. The placenta continues to produce large quantities of progesterone throughout pregnancy.

Continue Learning about Progesterone

What is progesterone?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
Progesterone together with estrogen prepares the lining of the uterus for implantation of a fert...
Could I be allergic to progesterone?
While it is pretty unlikely, it is possible to be allergic to progesterone. In the rare cases that a...
What should I know about progesterone before using it?
When used in combination with estrogen as part of hormone replacement therapy, progesterone can ...
Where can I buy a progesterone cream?
Marcy Holmes, MSN, NPMarcy Holmes, MSN, NP
You can get the low-dose, over-the-counter progesterone cream formulas at most health food stores, o...