How should I use progesterone?

The use of progesterone depends on the form it was prescribed in and the condition it is used for. You should use progesterone exactly as prescribed by your doctor. This is typically once a day in the evening or right before bedtime. Progesterone in capsule form is taken on a rotating schedule. You will rotate between taking progesterone for 10 to 12 days, and then not taking the hormone for the next 16 to 18 days. If you miss a dose, take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed pill. Progesterone in an injection form should be injected into the muscle. Intravaginal gels and suppositories are inserted into vagina with a special applicator as directed by doctor.

Continue Learning about Progesterone

Does progesterone cause blood clots?
Progesterone can cause abnormal blood clotting. The abnormal clots can cut off blood supply to the b...
How important is progesterone to women?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
In women, progesterone is like a key.The hormone helps turn on the processes of menstruation and ovu...
Is progesterone safe to use while I am nursing my baby?
Progesterone can enter the breast milk while you are nursing your baby. However, the actual amount t...
How does progesterone injection interact with other medications or food?
Some medications might interact with progesterone injection and should be avoided or used with c...