What should I do if my partner objects to me getting a cosmetic treatment?

Set up a consultation with a doctor, gather the information so you really know what you’re talking about, then decide what to do.

• If your partner’s totally, firmly in the frivolous camp, you can quietly go ahead and simply not bring it up again. (But don’t pay for it out of a joint account!)
  • If your spouse is a worrier, you can also quietly go ahead and see if you get a favorable comment afterward, like, “Honey, you look great!” That’s the time to own up and with luck you’ll hear: “I guess it’s okay, you seem fine.”
  • If your partner is simply mystified, try talking it out. Explain why you want to do this for yourself, why it’s important, why you need his support, even if it’s just putting ice packs on some sore spots afterward! The better you can articulate it to your partner, the easier it will be to involve him.
  • If honesty is paramount and you’re both adamant, hold off for a while and revisit it later. At a different time, you both may feel less rigid, and it may no longer seem like such a big deal.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Continue Learning about Professional Beauty Treatments

What is a medi-spa?
    Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
    If you want more than a rejuvenating facial or healing massage, you might consider a medical spa...
    How does Ulthera work to improve the skin's appearance?
    Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
    A new machine called Ulthera intensifies sound, makes it shrill enough that neither humans nor dogs ...
    What Are the Advantages of Botox Treatment Over Facial Plastic Surgery?
    Are There Risks In Injections to Remove Dark Eye Circles?