What are resurfacing laser treatments?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
These lasers are known to remove the damaged upper layers of the skin, a process which treats brown spots, wrinkles, and other signs of aging skin. As the skin recovers, the collagen is renewed and the skin looks smoother and younger. Depending on the laser used, there is more or less down time and more or less pain.
Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

Laser resurfacing treatments are most useful for fine wrinkles around the eyes, mouth, forehead and some acne scars. The CO2 laser and the Erbium laser are frequently used by dermatologist and plastic surgeons. Other names include laser abrasion, laser peel and resurfacing. Short pulsed light energy is delivered in a pattern concisely to remove thin layers of skin with reduced thermal damage to surrounding areas. Erbium laser is useful for moderately lines and rhytides to the face, neck, hands, and chest wall. There is a quicker recovery time with the Erbium laser compared to the CO2 laser. 

Continue Learning about Professional Beauty Treatments

What is carboxytherapy?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Carboxytherapy refers to the injection of carbon dioxide gas just under the skin's surface. The proc...
What is the most recommended type of dermatological product?
Patricia Farris, MDPatricia Farris, MD
Dermatologists will often recommend a moisturizer for their patients.  We use moisturizers to keep t...
How Can I Look Younger Without a Facelift?
Are There Risks In Injections to Remove Dark Eye Circles?