How can I tell if a cosmetic treatment is worth the cost?

The following are some suggestions for determining if anti-aging treatments are worth the cost for you.
  • Do the math. Divide the price of a treatment you’re considering by the number of days it will last to find out the cost per day. For example, wrinkle fillers are usually priced by the syringe (because you can’t share them once they’re opened). A syringeful of Restylane (hyaluronic acid) goes for about seven hundred dollars and will last at least four months, about 120 days. Divide seven hundred dollars by 120 and you get five dollars and eighty-four cents a day. Now, how does that compare with, say, your daily ration of lattes? Calculating the cost per day gives you a different perspective.
  • Be a smart shopper. Make sure you and your doctor understand what’s bothering you most, then explain what your budget is and decide where and whether to skimp or splurge.
  • Charge it. Almost every dermatologist today takes credit cards and this may surprise you; there are also finance companies that offer plastic surgery loans. Hmmm. Yes, you’re investing in yourself, but unless you’re very disciplined you could quickly be facing years of payments and high finance charges. Is it worth the extra dollars and, yes, the stress involved? Think hard about this one.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Continue Learning about Professional Beauty Treatments

How does corneotherapy treat inflammation, itching and other skin problems?
    The concept behind corneotherapy is that it is possible to treat issues taking place in deeper layer...
    What services do medical spas offer?
    Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
    Medical spas, also called medspas, are the newest craze. They combine facials, massages, and sea...
    What Are the Advantages of Botox Treatment Over Facial Plastic Surgery?
    How Can I Look Younger Without a Facelift?