How can I prevent swelling and bruising after a cosmetic procedure?

To keep aftereffects like swelling and bruising to a minimum, do the following:
  • avoid strenuous workouts for the first day or two unless you have stitches (say, from a mole removal), then ask your doctor about timing
  • skip wine, beer, and liquor that night to prevent flushing and mild blood thinning (which could increase bruising); underscore this if you’re taking painkillers, you don’t want them to interact with alcohol
  • sleep with your head elevated for a night or two
  • scrupulously apply sunscreen, but use a mineral-based titanium or zinc formula to avoid irritation from sunscreen chemicals
  • if you’re having any kind of skin resurfacing, or a light acid peel, or certain laser treatments (ask your doctor), stop using any skin products that contain retinoids, alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs), and glycolic acids for the day before and a day or two afterward. Again, ask your physician for specific guidelines here.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Continue Learning about Professional Beauty Treatments

Should I worry that other people will notice I've had work done?
    What’s the worst thing that can happen? You’re sniped at for being superficial because you Botoxed y...
    What does the Fractora Firm device do?
    Anthony S. Youn, MDAnthony S. Youn, MD
    Plenty of people wish they could get the benefits of a facelift without the surgery. In this vid...
    What Are the Advantages of Botox Treatment Over Facial Plastic Surgery?
    Are There Risks In Injections to Remove Dark Eye Circles?