Q

Preventing Medical Errors

How can I reduce the risk of death due to medical error?

• A , Nursing, answered
    It's important to know who your healthcare provider is and how they manage their practice. Simple activities such as checking paperwork for accuracy, making sure lab specimens are labeled correctly and when in the hospital, wearing your ID bracelet and ensuring the information is accurate. When dealing with healthcare practitioners, ask for their names and their title so you understand their role in your care team. You have the right to choose your healthcare practitioner. If you ever have concerns or fears, you should follow official channels to voice your concerns. Sometimes putting something in writing is very helpful feedback for healthcare organizations.
  • A , Nursing, answered
    It is estimated that nearly 100,000 people die each year due to medical errors. There are some steps that you can take to help prevent these errors. It is important for you to be an empowered patient, becoming engaged in your health care with your practitioners. It is also important that you communicate and collaborate with your health care team. By being involved in your care, you can help prevent medical errors. Do not be afraid to speak up. Ask questions regarding treatment, tests, procedures, and medications.
    1 person found this helpful.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
How can I deal with fears of wrong site surgery?