What happens if I stop taking my medications?

Many people forget to take their medication or just decide to stop because they feel better or do not think the medicine is working. Learn why this is a problem in this video with Dr. Oz and Pharmacist Nancy Nkansah.

Goldina Erowele
Caregiving

The result of not taking the medications as prescribed has major health and economic impact. The cost of non-adherence is estimated to cost $100 billion annually.

When you stop taking medication, especially for chronic diseases, it leads to decreased productivity and increased disease morbidity, physician office visits, admissions to nursing homes, and death. Many studies have documented poorer health outcomes due to non-adherence, especially in patients with chronic diseases such as hypertension, diabetes, and epilepsy.

One of the solutions - communication with your doctor prior to stopping and partnering with your local clinical pharmacists!

Continue Learning about Prescription Drug Adherence

The Dangers of Stopping and Reducing Prescribed Medications
Two pieces of medical news have grabbed our attention; both had to do with the importance of taking your meds as prescribed. The first was a study in ...
How many adults admit not always taking their medications as prescribed?
PhRMAPhRMA
Three out of four adults acknowledge not always taking their medicines as directed. Poor adherence ...
How can other people help me take my medication properly?
Joshua C. Klapow, PhDJoshua C. Klapow, PhD
Taking your medication safely and consistently will help keep you healthy. This has direct benef...
How Dangerous Is the Indiscriminate Use of Antibiotics?