Should I stop taking my medication if a negative news report comes out?

Often news reports will highlight new information discovered about a medication in a research study. Sometimes the findings will be something negative related to a medication. Despite this, it is important that you never stop taking your medication because of something you heard or read in the media or online.

Always consult with your physician first before stopping your medication or altering your treatment. Not all claims are substantiated, and you could suffer potentially dangerous side effects if you suddenly stop taking medication that is prescribed to you. If your medication does present serious risks for you, your physician can work with you on how to best stop taking the medication and what you might be able to take instead.

Continue Learning about Prescription Drug Adherence

Resolving Prescription Conflicts
Resolving Prescription Conflicts
When Rosemary Butler belted out the chorus on Jackson Brown’s version of Stay (Just a Little Bit Longer) more than four decades ago, a lot of 50- to 6...
What are common reasons for not taking medications?
Audrey K. Chun, MDAudrey K. Chun, MD
Physical impairments can interfere with taking medications -- for example, arthritis in the hand...
How often do people take prescription drugs incorrectly?
Unfortunately, misuse of and misinformation about prescription drugs is not uncommon. In fact, it ha...
How Dangerous Is the Indiscriminate Use of Antibiotics?