Should I stop taking my medication if a negative news report comes out?

Often news reports will highlight new information discovered about a medication in a research study. Sometimes the findings will be something negative related to a medication. Despite this, it is important that you never stop taking your medication because of something you heard or read in the media or online.

Always consult with your physician first before stopping your medication or altering your treatment. Not all claims are substantiated, and you could suffer potentially dangerous side effects if you suddenly stop taking medication that is prescribed to you. If your medication does present serious risks for you, your physician can work with you on how to best stop taking the medication and what you might be able to take instead.

Continue Learning about Prescription Drug Adherence

Tips for Making Your Medications Safer
Tips for Making Your Medications Safer
When it comes to taking medicine, a surprising number of people aren't doing it right. In one recent study, 70% of parents gave little kids the wrong ...
What happens if my child doesn't finish a course of antibiotics?
If your doctor prescribes your child antibiotics or other infection-fighting meds, it's imperative t...
What are the results of patients not taking medications as prescribed?
Goldina EroweleGoldina Erowele
Medication nonadherence is most simply defined as the number of doses not taken or taken incorrectly...
How to Prevent Medication Errors and Accidental Overdose