How often do people take prescription drugs incorrectly?

Unfortunately, misuse of and misinformation about prescription drugs is not uncommon. In fact, it happens all the time: One doctor prescribes a medicine for a patient without knowing that another doctor has prescribed a second medicine for that same person. Somehow the information isn't communicated: The patient either forgets to tell the doctor what he or she is taking, or tells the doctor the wrong name for the medication (this is easy to do). The result can be a potentially life-threatening drug combination.

Mixing drugs, taking medicines beyond their prescribed time, or taking them erratically can be hard on your body and can make you older rather than younger. This is a common American habit. Only 32 percent of statin drugs (for example, Zocor, Pravachol, Lipitor, and Crestor) that are prescribed are taken as the doctor instructed; only 38 percent of antihypertensives (drugs that lower blood pressure) are taken as instructed. Is it the cost? No. Even when the medications are free, only 23 percent of people will take these drugs to reduce their blood pressure below 140/90 mg/dl, the American Heart Association's "danger zone."

Continue Learning about Prescription Drug Adherence

Resolving Prescription Conflicts
Resolving Prescription Conflicts
When Rosemary Butler belted out the chorus on Jackson Brown’s version of Stay (Just a Little Bit Longer) more than four decades ago, a lot of 50- to 6...
How can I keep track of when I give my child medication?
When your child is taking a medication, jot down the time you give it to him. It’s easy to wonder, “...
How can I make sure to take the right dose of my liquid medicine?
Anthony CirilloAnthony Cirillo
One way to take the right dose of medication is to use the right spoon. New research suggests that y...
How to Prevent Medication Errors and Accidental Overdose