Can medicines be crushed?

That depends. Some can, some cannot. Generally, if it is a standard medication, it *MAY* be able to be crushed. If it is an extended-release form (may have a suffix in the brand name like SR or ER; usually take once or twice a day compared to the standard form of the drug which may be more often), it cannot be crushed. The pill/tablet coating is what makes it extended-release and so if you crush, you have just converted it into the standard medication. Before you crush a medication, check with your doctor or pharmacist. Vitamins generally should not be crushed unless otherwise stated on the bottle or if it is chewable.

Continue Learning about Prescription Drug Adherence

Skipping Your Meds? Here's Why That's a Bad Idea
Taking medication is necessary for millions of people; it's estimated between 50 and 70 percent of US adults have a prescription at any given time. Wh...
What is medication adherence?
PhRMAPhRMA
Medication adherence is the extent to which the patient follows the doctor’s instructions about the ...
What happens if I stop taking my medications?
Many people forget to take their medication or just decide to stop because they feel better or d...
Is Antibiotic Resistance a Serious Problem?