Can medicines be crushed?

That depends. Some can, some cannot. Generally, if it is a standard medication, it *MAY* be able to be crushed. If it is an extended-release form (may have a suffix in the brand name like SR or ER; usually take once or twice a day compared to the standard form of the drug which may be more often), it cannot be crushed. The pill/tablet coating is what makes it extended-release and so if you crush, you have just converted it into the standard medication. Before you crush a medication, check with your doctor or pharmacist. Vitamins generally should not be crushed unless otherwise stated on the bottle or if it is chewable.

Continue Learning about Prescription Drug Adherence

Track Your Meds and Save Money With Sharecare
Do you have a prescription to treat a chronic condition? If so, you’re not alone. In fact, nearly 60 percent of Americans take at least one prescript...
How to Prevent Medication Errors and Accidental Overdose
Is Antibiotic Resistance a Serious Problem?
How Can I Prevent an Antibiotic-Resistant Infection?