How does the environment affect a child's brain development?

The process of pruning neurological connections is directly related to the environment to which a child is exposed. We prune connections that we don't use, as exemplified by the fact that we're not exposed to certain stimuli in our environment. (It's the old "use it or lose it" idea.) If a baby isn't spoken or read to, his brain might decide that he doesn't need those language neurons. The opposite is also true: We strengthen the connections that our brains deem important because of repeated exposure. That's why creating a routine is such an effective way to instill good habits in your child.

YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Preschool Age Child Development

How can I teach my child good manners?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here are a few solutions to enhance good social graces in your children and give them that edge for ...
What emotional development occurs in the preschool years?
Catherine Mogil, PsyDCatherine Mogil, PsyD
During the preschool years, emotional development occurs as kids gain more control over their limbic...
What to Expect from Your Kindergartener
What to Expect from Your Kindergartener
What Your Baby's Body Language Is Telling You