How does the environment affect a child's brain development?

The process of pruning neurological connections is directly related to the environment to which a child is exposed. We prune connections that we don't use, as exemplified by the fact that we're not exposed to certain stimuli in our environment. (It's the old "use it or lose it" idea.) If a baby isn't spoken or read to, his brain might decide that he doesn't need those language neurons. The opposite is also true: We strengthen the connections that our brains deem important because of repeated exposure. That's why creating a routine is such an effective way to instill good habits in your child.

YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Preschool Age Child Development

How can I encourage my child to read?
First off, spend time each day reading together with your child starting when she is very young. Rea...
How can I help my kids learn to play alone?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
There are many ways to help your kids learn to play alone and entertain themselves.  Here are boredo...
What to Expect from Your Kindergartener
What to Expect from Your Kindergartener
What Your Baby's Body Language Is Telling You