How can I help my child who is scared of starting kindergarten?

Luckily, most kindergarteners have a rough time for a few days (or few weeks) at most. Then, they're off and running with the pack, happily ensconced in their classroom, with their teacher and new friends. Here's what to keep in mind until then:

• Talk with your little one about school. Listen to her fears, and clarify any confusion she has about the day. Understanding the flow of the school schedule will help her feel like she knows what'll be happening after you leave.
  • Be positive, and don't entertain a discussion about possibly staying at home. Say, “I know you feel scared. But your teacher will take care of you, and I will be there to pick you up right after school. I know you can do it. You might be scared sometimes, but you'll have so much fun, too! What a big kid you're getting to be.”
  • Rely on the teacher for advice and guidance. She (it's usually a “she”) is an expert at this, and goes through this every year with several of the kids in kindergarten. She'll have suggestions for how to best handle drop-offs. Usually, this involves a cheerful goodbye, a quick kiss -- and then a purposeful exit.

Hold your own concerns in check until you've given your child (and the teacher) a few weeks to settle in. If your child is still upset about going to school, then it's time to schedule a sit-down meeting with the teacher to explore what might be going on. You'll also want to observe the classroom in process -- unobserved by your child, if at all possible. Even a few minutes watching her will help you decide if her protests are just meant to test you -- or if she's really unhappy there.

Most of the time, kindergarten fears and tears evaporate within a few weeks. By then, we're left tearfully wondering, “When did my baby get so grown up?”

Continue Learning about Preparing A School Age Child For School

What can help my child prepare for a test?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Make no mistake, test-taking anxiety can be costly to our children academic success as well as their...
How should I say goodbye to my child on his first day at a new school?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here are a few things to help your child to have a positive sendoff to a new school:Point him to...
How Can I Help My Child Adjust to Middle School?
How Can I Prepare My Child for the First Day of School?