What should I avoid while taking prednisone?

If you're taking prednisone, you should avoid getting any vaccines without your doctor's approval. This steroid medicine can suppress your immune system, so vaccines may not be as effective as usual -- and in some cases could even be dangerous. For the same reason, skin testing for certain conditions may not be accurate while you're on prednisone, so you shouldn't rely on the results of those tests.

Because prednisone can damp down your immune system, you may be less able to fight off infections while you're on it. Avoid exposing yourself to people who are sick, especially those with chicken pox or measles. Tell your doctor right away if you think you may have been exposed to either of those diseases. If you do get sick, you may be less likely to develop symptoms -- be extra alert so you can get treatment if necessary.

Continue Learning about PredniSONE

How can I safely take prednisone?
Audrey K. Chun, MDAudrey K. Chun, MD
Always take prednisone (a corticosteroid used to treat inflammatory conditions) with food -- tak...
Can prednisone worsen my high blood pressure?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Prednisone raises blood pressure in many people who take it. One reason is that prednisone and o...
What are the side effects of long-term prednisone use?
Side effects of long-term use of the steroid prednisone include an increased risk of eye problem...
How can I minimize the side effects of prednisone?
To minimize the side effects of prednisone, take this steroid medication exactly as prescribed b...