If I am pregnant, is it safe to take prednisone?

It may not be safe to take the steroid drug prednisone during pregnancy. Researchers haven't studied this drug adequately in pregnant women, so it should be used during pregnancy only if you and your doctor agree that its potential benefit outweighs its potential risk. Experts say that if you are on high doses of prednisone while you're pregnant, your baby should be carefully watched to make sure that the drug hasn't affected his adrenal glands.

Before you start taking this drug, get your doctor's advice about birth control. If you're taking prednisone and learn that you are pregnant, call your doctor right away.

Continue Learning about PredniSONE

What should I do if I miss a dose of prednisone?
When you start taking prednisone, ask your doctor what to do if you miss a dose and write down t...
How does prednisone affect blood pressure?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Prednisone can increase sodium and water retention and increase your blood pressure. Therefore, sodi...
What are the side effects of long-term prednisone use?
Side effects of long-term use of the steroid prednisone include an increased risk of eye problem...
What should I avoid while taking prednisone?
If you're taking prednisone, you should avoid getting any vaccines without your doctor's approva...