Prednisone can increase sodium and water retention and increase your blood pressure. Therefore, sodium may need to be restricted in your diet. The "no added salt" diet is generally prescribed. Salt contains sodium, so it is best to limit salt when cooking and not add salt at the table. Salt substitutes are high in potassium and should only be used with your doctor's permission. Avoid high-sodium foods.
- Q What are the side effects of long-term prednisone use?
- Q Can prednisone worsen my high blood pressure?
- Q What should I do if I miss a dose of prednisone?
- Q How does taking prednisone affect my diabetes?
- Q What is prednisone?
- Q When can I stop taking prednisone?