Prednisone can increase sodium and water retention and increase your blood pressure. Therefore, sodium may need to be restricted in your diet. The "no added salt" diet is generally prescribed. Salt contains sodium, so it is best to limit salt when cooking and not add salt at the table. Salt substitutes are high in potassium and should only be used with your doctor's permission. Avoid high-sodium foods.
- Q Who should not take prednisone?
- Q When can I stop taking prednisone?
- Q How does prednisone for a lung transplant affect vision?
- Q What high-sodium foods should I avoid while taking prednisone?
- Q Can prednisone interact with other medications or foods?
- Q How soon after starting prednisone will my symptoms improve?