How can I minimize the side effects of prednisone?

To minimize the side effects of prednisone, take this steroid medication exactly as prescribed by your doctor. In addition, eat a well-balanced diet. This will help you avoid excess weight gain, which can occur when you take this steroid medication. Decrease your salt intake to reduce fluid retention and lower your risk of high blood pressure, another possible side effect of prednisone. Your doctor may also tell you to increase your intake of potassium and calcium intake because prednisone can make your body eliminate these nutrients, causing a shortfall.

Take prednisone with food in order to reduce stomach irritation. Prednisone can increase your risk of stomach ulcers; because drinking alcohol can add to that risk, avoid alcohol if possible.

Prednisone can interact with many medications. To lower your risk of dangerous interactions, give your doctor a complete list of all your medicines (prescription and nonprescription) and dietary supplements, especially St. John's wort. Certain medical conditions can increase the risk for side effects, as well, so be sure to tell your doctor about any health problems you have or have had. Do not stop taking prednisone without talking to your doctor first. Stopping suddenly may cause side effects, so your doctor may need to carefully taper your dose.

Continue Learning about PredniSONE

Can I take prednisone if I am breastfeeding?
If you are breastfeeding or planning to breastfeed, talk to your doctor about whether it's safe ...
If I am pregnant, is it safe to take prednisone?
It may not be safe to take the steroid drug prednisone during pregnancy. Researchers haven't stu...
How soon after starting prednisone will my symptoms improve?
How soon symptoms improve after you start taking the steroid prednisone depends on a number of f...
When can I stop taking prednisone?
When you can stop taking the steroid prednisone depends on why you're taking it and how you resp...