What is the neurobiology of post-traumatic stress disorder?

The neurobiological causes of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) involve a number of the body’s physiological systems. The amygdala -- the almond-shaped neural structure tied to memory and fear-conditioning -- plays a critical role in PTSD, along with other parts of the limbic system, the brain’s control panel for emotion, motivation, and behavior. Exposure to a stressful event signals the amygdala to switch on the body’s fear circuit, which sends response messages to different parts of the body, including the pituitary gland and the adrenal glands. This releases the hormone cortisol.

The hippocampus, also part of the limbic system, is responsible for shutting down this pathway once the threat has diminished. In PTSD, this intricate system short-circuits and can no longer regulate itself.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD): What You Need to Know
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a serious and potentially debilitating condition that can affect a person following a traumatic event, such a...
Should I see a doctor or psychologist if I have PTSD?
Michael J. Mufson, MDMichael J. Mufson, MD
Although it's often difficult for people with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) to discuss their...
How should I talk to someone with brain injury or PTSD?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Not everyone has experience in communicating with people with disabilities. Please remember that app...
Overcoming Depression: Noah's Story
Overcoming Depression: Noah's Story