If I am having nightmares after return from deployment, do I have PTSD?

Nightmares and insomnia are not uncommon in veterans and recently returned service members. In the general population, about 5% of people report having frequent nightmares. Nightmares are thought to be reactions to stress in waking life, and can also occur in response to trauma. Nightmares are also one of the symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). One study of Vietnam veterans with PTSD and sleep disorders showed that 52% of the veterans had frequent nightmares, compared to only 3% of the civilians in the control group. If your nightmares are the result of trauma, you will often see elements of the traumatic event in the nightmares. Trauma nightmares usually occur at different points in the sleep pattern than ordinary nightmares (for example, in stages of lighter sleep instead of deep REM sleep).

They may involve physical movement as well. If your nightmares match this description, you should request a PTSD screening from a mental health professional to determine if you are suffering from the disorder.

Continue Learning about Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Symptoms

What are flashbacks in people with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Most people with PTSD repeatedly relive the trauma in their thoughts during the day and in nightmare...
What are the symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)?
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is directly connected to a stressful life event, like bein...
Could my insomnia be caused by post-traumatic stress disorder?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Yes, insomnia is a common reaction to post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Nightmares in which you...
Should I talk to my doctor about my PTSD symptoms?
If you are having problems with the aftereffects of a traumatic event, talk to your doctor about you...