What is radiation poisoning?

radiation poisoning is also known as radiation sickness or acute radiation syndrome. It is an illness caused by exposure to massive amounts of high-energy radiation over a brief period of time. Sources that can cause radiation poisoning include nuclear plant accidents, atomic bombs, and cancer treatments. Symptoms vary in severity depending on the total amount, type, exposure duration, and location of radiation. Radiation damage to the digestive system, bone marrow, brain, and skin may result in an increased risk of cancer and possibly death. Treatment may involve life-saving measures, decontamination, and symptom management.

Continue Learning about Poisoning

Are Your Grandkids at Risk From Your Meds?
Three generations of Matthews have played in the NFL: Clay Matthews, Sr., played four seasons for the San Francisco 49ers. His eldest son, Clay Matthe...
What should I do in case of accidental poisoning?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
In the case of accidental poisoning, if time permits, contact the Poison Help Center at 1-800-22...
What poisons can be absorbed through the skin?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Poisons that can be absorbed through the skin come from many sources including plants, such as p...
What happens when I call the National Poison Control Center hotline?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
When you call this number, your call is automatically routed to your regional poison control cen...