Can benzene cause industrial waste poisoning?

Yes, benzene is a toxic chemical that can cause industrial waste poisoning. Benzene is flammable and unstable. It is absorbed very quickly in the body after it has been inhaled. It can irritate the throat and lungs, and cause problems with both the gastrointestinal and central nervous systems. Benzene is a chemical waste product of factories, mills, and mining operations. People who work in places where benzene is used or made are at risk for industrial waste poisoning.

Continue Learning about Poisoning

Are Your Grandkids at Risk From Your Meds?
Three generations of Matthews have played in the NFL: Clay Matthews, Sr., played four seasons for the San Francisco 49ers. His eldest son, Clay Matthe...
When should I call poison control?
If you think that someone has eaten, breathed or touched something dangerous, call poison control. A...
How should I dispose of a mercury thermometer?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Mercury (sometimes called quicksilver) is a dangerous material. Mercury-glass thermometers are n...
What is poisoning?
Poisoning is when a chemical gets into your body and makes you sick. Sometimes the chemical is c...