How are pesticides harmful to the human body?

Pesticides are toxic by design. They are created expressly to kill living organisms -- insects, plants and fungi that are considered “pests.” Many pesticides pose health dangers to people. Independent research scientists and physicians across the world have agreed on certain risks.

As acknowledged by U.S. and international government agencies, different pesticides have been linked to a variety of health problems, including:
  • Brain and nervous system toxicity
  • Cancer
  • Hormone disruption
  • Skin, eye and lung irritation

Continue Learning about Pesticides

What nontoxic alternatives to mothballs can I use?
For generations it has been customary to sprinkle a few mothballs made of naphthalene in a box of sw...
How can exposure to organophosphate pesticides affect my health?
Environmental Working Group (EWG)Environmental Working Group (EWG)
Neurotoxic organophosphate compounds that the Nazis produced in huge quantities for chemical warfare...
Is There a Connection Between Alzheimer’s Disease and Pesticide Exposure?
Supermarket Savvy: Decoding PLU Labels on Fruits and Veggies