What causes pleural effusion?

A pleural effusion can be caused by medical conditions such as heart failure, pneumonia, cancer, and blood clots in the lungs. It may also be caused by diseases that affect the liver or kidneys, or from the use of certain medicines. The most common known cause is heart failure. However, sometimes the underlying cause of the effusion is unknown.

Continue Learning about Pleural Effusion

Should I talk to my doctor about my pleural effusion symptoms?
To determine the underlying cause of your symptoms, it is very important to talk to your doctor. Sin...
How does pleural effusion relieve symptoms of pleurisy?
The symptoms of pleurisy include sharp chest pain when breathing, shortness of breath, dry cough, an...
Is pleural effusion serious?
While pleural effusions may resolve without treatment, in some cases it can be serious. As a large e...
What is an exudative effusion?
An exudative effusion is one of two types of pleural effusions. In this type of effusion, the blood ...