Will my foot wear choice effect how I heal from plantar fasciitis?

Yes, women who wear high heels may experience a longer recovery time due to the fact that their calf muscles are always in a shortened position. This leads to tight calf musculature which can decrease ankle range of motion and place more stress on the plantar fascia. If possible, try not to wear shoes with an elevated heel; this will help decrease calf tightness. Also, wearing foot wear with poor arch support, such as sandles or flip flops, can also lead to plantar fasciitis. Foot wear with poor arch support can force your feet to flatten (when your arch drops toward the ground) which stretches the fascia and over time leads to inflammation. For some, it may be necessary to use orthotics in your shoe to provide better support to the arch of the foot and decrease stress to the fascia.

Continue Learning about Plantar Fasciitis

What causes pain in the heels of my feet?
MountainView HospitalMountainView Hospital
Pain in the heels of the feet is caused by growing, plantar fasciitis or stressed motions.
What type of doctor should I see for plantar fasciitis?
Melissa Hatton, NASM Elite TrainerMelissa Hatton, NASM Elite Trainer
I would recommend visiting a doctor who specializes in sport medicine.  This type of physician is mo...
Got Plantar Fasciitis? Get Heel-Pain Help
How Do I Deal with Plantar Fasciitis?
How Do I Deal with Plantar Fasciitis?