How do medications treat a pituitary tumor?

In some cases, medications can be used to shrink a pituitary tumor. Drugs that decrease levels of the hormone prolactin can be effectively used when a person has a functioning pituitary tumor that secretes excess prolactin. In fact, these medications often work so well that surgery is not needed in these circumstances. Drugs can also be used to help treat pituitary tumors that secrete growth hormones. Somatosatin analogs will cause growth hormone levels to drop and may shrink tumors on their own. Pegvisomant is also sometimes used to combat growth hormone-releasing tumors, particularly when surgery is not a viable option.

Continue Learning about Pituitary Tumor

Should I talk to my doctor about a pituitary tumor?
Talk to your doctor about a pituitary tumor if you are experiencing any hormonal imbalances or visio...
What is the prognosis for a pituitary tumor?
If diagnosed early enough, the prognosis for a pituitary tumor is usually excellent. If diagnosis is...
Should I be worried about a pituitary tumor?
You should be worried about a pituitary tumor if you are experiencing hormonal or physical issues li...
Do children with pituitary tumors receive the same treatment as adults?
Marvin Bergsneider, MDMarvin Bergsneider, MD
The treatment of pituitary tumors in children is very different from adults because as a child there...