What is the difference between paraplegia and quadriplegia?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Paraplegia and quadriplegia are two types of paralysis. Paralysis in the lower half of the body and both legs is called paraplegia. Paralysis in both arms and legs is called quadriplegia. A higher percentage of spinal cord injuries cause quadriplegia than paraplegia (56 percent to 43 percent).

Paraplegia is when people cannot feel or move their legs and feet due to a spinal cord injury. Paraplegia occurs after a spinal cord injury to the lower back, which prevents the brain from communicating with the parts of the body below the injury.

Quadriplegia, also known as tetraplegia, is when people cannot feel or move their arms and legs due to a spinal cord injury. Quadriplegia/tetraplegia occurs after a spinal cord injury to the neck or upper back, where the damage prevents the brain from communicating with the rest of the body.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
Can I stay active if I have a disability?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
A disability may make it harder to stay active, but it shouldn't stop you. In most cases, people wit...
How can I navigate on a tech device if I'm disabled?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Most of today's tech devices have features that make it easier for people with disabilities to use t...
Who is eligible for handicapped parking placards?
Betty Long, RN, MHABetty Long, RN, MHA
Ironically, many people who are eligible fail to apply because they are in denial about their disabi...