What should I consider when choosing a power wheelchair?

Audrey K. Chun, MD
Geriatric Medicine
There are several issues you need to consider when choosing a power wheelchair.

Size is crucial for indoor use -- it needs to fit through your doorways and have a manageable turning circle. Battery power also is important, and most wheelchair batteries should last for 10 to 15 miles before they need to be recharged. However, what you use the chair for impacts on this. For example, if you're using the chair on a rising gradient or on rough ground, this will drain the battery faster than using it on level, smooth ground.

Your own size and weight factor in, too. Larger individuals won't get as much battery life when using a chair as smaller, lighter people do, so if you're heavy you may need a bulkier model with more battery life.

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
How do I get a handicapped parking permit or placard?
Betty Long, RN, MHABetty Long, RN, MHA
Search online using your state name and “handicapped parking placard” for your state's requirements....
What is offered to veterans with low vision after combat?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Operation Peer SupportIn the United States today there are around 160,000 veterans who are legally b...
Can I stay active if I have a disability?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
A disability may make it harder to stay active, but it shouldn't stop you. In most cases, people wit...