How does mobility impairment affect my quality of life?

Mobility impairment can have a significant impact on your everyday life. It can affect every physical movement, even simple ones you take for granted. Tasks you might otherwise perform with ease become more difficult, if not impossible. You may need specialized equipment to get around, such as crutches or a wheelchair. In the most serious cases, you may not be able to move at all. However, many cases of mobility impairment are temporary, so with therapy and lifestyle changes, these limitations might be overcome.

The ability of an individual with mobility impairment to deal with his or her current reality often depends on the individual and his or her support system. It also depends on how the disability was acquired. If the individual was born without a limb or with cerebral palsy, for example, growing up with the disability may have been more challenging but typically such individuals have a better chance of accepting and adapting to their disability than does a person who acquired it from a trauma. Mobility impairments due to a traumatic event create a very different coping situation, requiring the individual to suddenly deal with loss, depression, anger and self-esteem issues. 

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
What sports are disability-friendly?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Wheelchair basketball, hand cycling, sled hockey, and swimming are the most developed adaptive sport...
What is a speech pathologist?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
A speech pathologist (or a speech-language pathologist) is a professional who is trained (master's o...
How can I navigate on a tech device if I'm disabled?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Most of today's tech devices have features that make it easier for people with disabilities to use t...