How can I make my tub and shower more accessible?

Here are some ideas for making your tub and shower more accessible:
  • Create a barrier-free shower area.
  • Slant tile floors toward a trench drain at the back to make it easier to maintain balance inside the shower.
  • Add a shower seat that is wall mounted or use a sturdy plastic chair with nonslip feet (available at drug stores), so that you can sit while showering.
  • Exchange your fixed shower head with one on an adjustable bar or add an inexpensive hand-held shower head with a minimum of a 6-foot hose to your current fixture.
  • Consider adding a second hand-held shower nozzle in the middle of the long side wall of the shower.
  • If a bath is important, consider purchasing a walk-in tub.
  • Offset controls in bathtubs and showers.
  • Install an antiscald device and consider a drain that can be operated with your foot; both are readily available at home improvement stores.
  • In tight spaces, install a toilet–shower seat combination system.
  • Make the edge of the tub easy to see by draping a contrasting-colored bath mat over the front or by adding a strip of bright-colored tape along the entire top edge.
  • Replace standard bathroom washcloths with kitchen cloths, wash mitts (some come with pockets for the soap), or net scrubbies, which are all lighter and easier to grip.
  • Use soap on a rope in the shower.
  • Use long-handled tools, such as soap holders, brushes, and even hair washers to make it easier to wash without bending or twisting.
  • Place shampoo, soap, and other bath and body products in brightly colored plastic containers that are easy to differentiate one from the another and to see against the wall or tub.
  • Use pump-handle containers for shampoo and conditioner to make them easy for you to use.
  • Make sure towels are located on a shelf right outside the shower and robes are on a hook that is easily accessible to the wearer.
  • Locate your towel storage over a heat vent, you will have warm towels without additional expense.
  • Consider adding heated walls in the shower area or install a body dryer if you are remodeling your bathroom.
Home Accessibility (300 Tips for Making Life Easier)

Written by the best-selling author of Multiple Sclerosis: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier and Parkinson's Disease: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier, Home Accessibility: 300 Tips for Making Life...

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
What if I blunder when I communicate with people with disabilities?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Don't be embarrassed if you happen to use accepted, common expressions such as "See you later" or "D...
What training is needed to become a speech pathologist?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
To become a speech pathologist, the following training is needed: bachelor's degree master’s deg...
How can voice software assist me if I'm disabled?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Most of today's tech devices have features that make it easier for people with disabilities to use t...