How can I make my closets more accessible?

Here are some tips for making your closets and storage spaces more accessible:
  • Lower some closet bars or install closet organizers that adjust to provide multiple hanging levels (higher and lower) and bring clothing within reach of someone who is seated. Power- and lift-assist closet bars that lower upper closet bars to you then raise them out of the way are now available. Be sure to test these devices fully loaded with clothing before purchasing.
  • Install adjustable shelving to fit your space and needs. Closet systems by California Closets, Rubbermaid, Elfa, or other companies, let you pick and choose elements such as shelves and slide out drawers and baskets to design a space that will fit your exact needs. Find closet systems at your local discount, department, or container store or online retailers.
  • Use clear storage bins so that you can see what is inside. Clear plastic drawers or wire baskets provide easy to see and access storage throughout the house. Add large-print labels to exposed ends to help you (or someone assisting you) know what goes inside.
  • Store things close to where you need them, and in logical places. Keep all the gardening equipment together; store the bike helmets next to the bikes; create an equipment storage area with cubbies and hooks to hold sports gear (if inside, you might even want to add an exhaust fan and a dehumidifier to reduce or eliminate odors.) Put the heaviest and most used items on the shelves that are easiest to reach.
  • Store some things outside. Consider a deck box for children’s toys or a storage shed for gardening tools. Consult your local home improvement store for options.
Home Accessibility (300 Tips for Making Life Easier)

Written by the best-selling author of Multiple Sclerosis: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier and Parkinson's Disease: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier, Home Accessibility: 300 Tips for Making Life...

Continue Learning about Physical Disabilities

Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
Early Intervention to Stop Stuttering
What do Winston Churchill and James Earl Jones have in common besides a deep voice and a robust stature? They were both stutterers. Stuttering that l...
Can I stay active if I have a disability?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
A disability may make it harder to stay active, but it shouldn't stop you. In most cases, people wit...
What is a speech pathologist?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
A speech pathologist (or a speech-language pathologist) is a professional who is trained (master's o...
How do I get a handicapped parking permit or placard?
Betty Long, RN, MHABetty Long, RN, MHA
Search online using your state name and “handicapped parking placard” for your state's requirements....