How do I know if the kind of phobia I have is serious?

To know whether or not the phobia you have is serious, ask yourself how greatly it interrupts your ability to be productive and to live your every day life. If you are unable to manage your responsibilities or follow through on important commitments due to your phobia, then it may be time to consider treatment. A medical professional will be able to help you officially diagnose your phobia and prescribe a treatment plan.

Katherine Lee
Social Work
It’s serious if your fear is excessive and unreasonable. If you see yourself avoiding certain situations and places because of your phobia and it interferes with your normal routine. If it affects your daily functioning, you need to seek professional help.

Continue Learning about Phobias

How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
As Erica Jong, author of the 1973 feminist novel Fear of Flying, wrote, way down deep almost everyone has a fear of letting go. But air travel is incr...
How can phobias go away without a doctor's care?
Sometimes phobias can go away and come back, depending on the circumstances one is facing in his or ...
What do I need to know about caring for someone who has a phobia?
If you are caring for someone you feel may have a phobia, it will be important to help them get an o...
How do I overcome fear of flying?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
There are many ways to overcome fear of flying, but suffering in silence should not be one of th...