Who should not take Jakafi?

Pregnant women or women who plan on becoming pregnant should not take Jakafi (ruxolitinib) without first discussing the risks and benefits of the drug with a doctor. Scientists haven't done enough studies to know if the medication, which is given for the bone marrow disease myelofibrosis, is safe if taken during pregnancy.

Breastfeeding women and people with severe kidney or liver disease should not take Jakafi.

Jakafi hasn't been adequately tested in children, so scientists don't know if it's safe or effective for them. Talk with your child's doctor about possible risks.

Continue Learning about Pharmacology

Why Some Infections Are Getting Harder to Treat
Penicillin ushered in the antibiotic era when it was discovered in 1928. Now, many experts are worried that we may be entering a post-antibiotic era, ...
How do I know if Saxenda is right for me?
Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)
Saxenda is a newer type of weight loss drug. It is in a class of medications called glucagon-like pe...
What are the side effects of statin drugs?
John M. Kennedy, MDJohn M. Kennedy, MD
Side effects of statin drugs include muscle weakness and inflammation, as well as liver inflammation...
What's the Difference Between a Brand-Name Drug and a Generic Drug?