Why is it painful to be judgmental?

Sheri Van Dijk
Psychiatry
A series of things leads to an increase in emotional pain when you make judgments. Here's what happens:
  1. First, an event or situation takes place, and your negative interpretation of that event causes you to feel a painful emotion, usually something like anger, fear, or hurt.
  2. This painful emotion is what actually causes you to judge. For example, someone cuts you off in traffic. Your interpretation of this event is something like "Oh my God, he could have killed me!" which leads to the automatic response of fear and anger, and these emotions cause you to judge: "What a jerk!"
  3. This judgment actually increases your emotions, usually triggering more anger. Although many people rationalize their judgments by saying that judging makes them feel better, doing so actually adds fuel to the emotional fire. Research has shown that venting anger has the effect of increasing anger and aggression and keeps our emotions going rather than calming them down.
Calming the Emotional Storm: Using Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills to Manage Your Emotions and Balance Your Life

When you have difficulties managing your emotions, it can feel like you’re losing control of your whole life. Anger, hurt, grief, worry, and other intense feelings can be overwhelming, and how you...

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
What is a physiatrist?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
A physiatrist is a physician specializing in rehabilitation medicine who has received postgraduate r...
Why do I judge others?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Consider what happens when you judge someone: it makes anotherperson wrong. Someone else is wrong to...
How Should We Feel When We Think We Think About Death?