What are strengths associated with temperance in positive psychology?

Ronald Siegel
In positive psychology, the virtue of temperance is associated with protective traits that help you avoid excess and stay on track in the face of temptations. Strengths associated with temperance include:
  • Mercy: Forgiving those who have done wrong or acted against your desires. Giving people a second chance and not being vengeful. Mercy tempers hatred and anger.
  • Humility and modesty: Letting your accomplishments speak for themselves. Not seeking the spotlight or trying to seem more special than you are; truthfully acknowledging who you are and what you've done. Humility tempers arrogance.
  • Self-control: Regulating what you feel and do. Being disciplined; not letting your desires or emotions get out of hand. Self-control tempers impulsiveness.
  • Prudence: Taking care in what you say and do. Not taking undue risks. Prudence tempers actions and decisions leading to regret.

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
Why should I renounce my self-image?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Over the years you have built an idealized self-image that you defend as "me." In this image are pac...
What happens to things stored in the shadow (of consciousness)?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Whatever is stored in darkness becomes distorted. Awareness, like fresh water, is meant to flow; whe...
How Should We Feel When We Think We Think About Death?