What is respect?

Lynne Kenney

Respect is an attitude. It is an experience of honor, esteem, consideration, and caring.

Respect can be for oneself, for another person, for another being, and even for a valued inanimate object, such as a piece of art or a hand-made musical instrument.

Respect is paying thoughtful consideration to another person’s words, feelings, thoughts, ideas, wishes or needs.

Respect is a feeling as well as a behavior.

Respect is revering or honoring another person. When you respect someone, you not only appreciate them for their standing in society, you might place them in a position above you on a feeling level or in practice. As an example, if you respect your grandfather, you may allow him to be seated at the dinner table before you sit down as a sign of respect.

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
What is the stable point of stability?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Since childhood, all of us have found a stable point through the ego. We imagine a fixed "I" who is ...
What is the problem with Enneagram type six personalities?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
One reason I initially had difficulty identifying myself as a Six is that Sixes tend to be a mass of...
How Can I Better Understand That Death Is Essential to Life?