What is manipulation and how do I recognize it?

Deepak Chopra
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
Manipulation is getting what you want by ignoring or harming the desires of others. Manipulators use charm, persuasion, coaxing, trickery, and misdirection. The underlying idea is "I have to fool people to make them give me what I want." When they are really caught up in their ploys, manipulators even imagine that they are doing their victims a favor -- after all, who wouldn't feel good helping out a guy who's so entertaining?

You can catch yourself falling into this behavior when you aren't listening to other people, when you ignore what they want and when you pretend that your desires cost nobody else a price. There are also external signs. The presence of a manipulator brings tension, strain, complaints and conflict to a situation. Some people use passive manipulations -- they come up with "poor me" scenarios to coax sympathy and pity out of others. Or they lay subtle guilt trips with the aim of making others think that what they want is wrong.

Manipulation comes to an end when you stop assuming that your desires are all-important. Then you can reconnect with others and begin to trust that their desires might be aligned with yours. When there is no manipulation, people feel that what they want counts.They trust that you are on their side; you aren't seen as a performer or salesperson. No one feels that he or she is being fooled.

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
Is it possible to think without words in your head?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Samskaras -- the grooves in the mind that make thoughts flow in the same direction and thus rob one ...
What is extreme perfectionism?
Alice DomarAlice Domar
When perfectionism goes too far, it is considered extreme, or “neurotic,” according to Canadian ...
Why Does Death Scare Us?
Why Does Death Scare Us?