What is anxiety sensitivity?

Anxiety sensitivity is a personality trait that increases the risk for anxiety disorders, particularly panic disorder. Anxiety sensitivity is a tendency to misinterpret the sensations that accompany anxiety -- irregular breathing, heart palpitations, trembling, flushing, sweating, stomach rumbling -- as indications of imminent physical danger or serious illness ("I'm going to have a heart attack" or "I'm going to faint"), loss of control ("I can't concentrate -- I'm going crazy"), or humiliating social rejection ("Everyone will notice that I'm trembling"). Anxiety sensitivity can show up in children as young as age 6. It can be innate or learned through observation or misinformation. For example, anxiety sensitivity could arise from a parent telling a child that too fast a heartbeat could be fatal.

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
Can self-compassion lead to self-indulgence?
Ronald SiegelRonald Siegel
Many people have trouble with the concept of self-compassion. They fear it may lead to self-indulgen...
What is the link between suffering and clinging?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Sanskrit's second klesha says that a person suffers because of clinging, which means clinging to any...
How Can I Better Understand That Death Is Essential to Life?