Should I start speaking up for myself at my workplace?

Karen R Koenig
I’m not saying that speaking up is always the best option. The idea is to have a range of choices and pick the one that will be most effective in a situation. There’s a big difference between telling your sweetheart of a boss that you can’t do a top-notch job alone and need some help and raising the issue with a supervisor who’s not your biggest fan and who’s in the midst of choosing which supervisee to lay off due to budget cuts. The key here is options: You have the ability to speak up but use your judgment to decide when and where. Nice girls aren’t comfortable asserting themselves and are almost always living in protection or survival mode, even when they no longer need to.

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
Will people stop liking me if I speak my mind, being a nice girl?
Karen R KoenigKaren R Koenig
I don’t know. You tell me what will happen. Or, rather, what you fear will happen. Will some catastr...
What are the traits of self-actualized people?
Dr. Ramani Durvasula, PhDDr. Ramani Durvasula, PhD
The concept of self-actualization is "aspirational" meaning it is something to move toward. The main...
How Should We Feel When We Think We Think About Death?