Why do we recoil from things that threaten our egos?

Deepak Chopra
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
The need to protect myself from what I fear is part of who I am. Sanskrit's third klesha says that even with a healthy self-image, we recoil from things that threaten our egos. These threats exist everywhere. I am afraid of being poor, of losing my spouse, of breaking the law. I am afraid to shame myself in front of anyone whose respect I want to keep. For some people, the thought of their children turning out badly is a deep threat to their own sense of self. "We don't do that in this family" is usually code for "Your behavior threatens who I am." People don't recognize that they are speaking in code. Once I have identified with my self-image, the fear that it might break down is instinctive.

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
What are the traits of self-actualized people?
Dr. Ramani Durvasula, PhDDr. Ramani Durvasula, PhD
The concept of self-actualization is "aspirational" meaning it is something to move toward. The main...
Why do I judge others?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Consider what happens when you judge someone: it makes anotherperson wrong. Someone else is wrong to...
How Can I Better Understand That Death Is Essential to Life?