What is the problem with Enneagram type six personalities?

Lisa Oz
Health Education

One reason I initially had difficulty identifying myself as a Six is that Sixes tend to be a mass of contradictions. They're strong and weak, generous and petty, bold and fearful, passive and aggressive. Now, I don't mean some Sixes are passive and some are aggressive. The same Six will frequently act one way and then five minutes later become its exact opposite. So labeling oneself is not a clear-cut endeavor.

For me, the upside of being predictably unpredictable is that-my husband never knows who he's going to wake up next to. Is it the nice, loving Lisa or the mean, sulky one today? This generally tends to keep him entertained and ensures that he won't get bored. But for the Six (i.e., me) it's emotionally exhausting. The reason Sixes are so variable stems from a fundamental place of reactivity. We don't have a firm sense of our own inner strength, and we struggle with the vicissitudes of life.

Sixes crave security and certainty. What Sixes need is faith: faith in themselves, in others, and in the underlying benevolence of the Creator. And here's the crux of the matter: stuff happens. The world can be a scary, hostile, vicious place. But it's never as bad as the Six imagines it to be. When Sixes quiet their horror fantasies and simply dwell in the present, trusting that they'll have and be enough in any situation, then they will manifest their true power, which is courage.

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
What is spiritual transformation?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
If transformation is the norm, then spiritual transformation falls into place as an extension of whe...
What is the link between suffering and clinging?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Sanskrit's second klesha says that a person suffers because of clinging, which means clinging to any...
How Can I Better Understand That Death Is Essential to Life?